What is BTST Margin blocked?

What is BTST Margin blocked?

BTST stands for “Buy Today, Sell Tomorrow”. It is a trade strategy where you purchase a stock to sell it immediately. However, the broker blocks a certain amount of funds while executing the BTST trade, known as the BTST margin. 

This blocked margin typically represents a percentage, often 20%, of the sale proceeds. The BTST margin is a temporary hold on a portion of your funds to ensure you can deliver the shares you sold even though you didn’t technically receive them. 

The margin for BTST trades will remain blocked until settlement.

It comprises 100% of the selling value plus an additional 20% as an upfront margin, totalling 120%. 

• Related Articles

• Why is higher than usual margin blocked for my F&O trades close to expiry?

Higher than usual margin is blocked for Futures and Options (F&O) trades close to expiry due to the nature of physical delivery associated with these contracts. As F&O contracts approach their expiry date, the margins required for these contracts ...
    • What is a daily margin statement?

A daily margin statement is a report provided to clients that offers insights into their margin status. It includes details about deposited margins, such as fund transfers and pledged collaterals, as well as blocked margins for existing or initiated ...
    • What is BTST Trades?

BTST (Buy Today Sell Tomorrow) trades involve purchasing and selling shares at your discretion on the next trading day (T+1) or even before the trade is settled, meaning the shares have not yet been delivered to your DEMAT account. The risk ...
    • Will I get margin benefit immediately after I sell my stock?

You can immediately benefit from shares sold on the same trading day (T-day) under specific conditions: · Shares are available in your Demat account without any pledge against them. · Shares in your Demat account are pledged solely for Margin ...
    • What is the changes in Limits/margin benefit from 1st Sep 2020?

SEBI and Exchanges, has introduced changes in certain rules for collection and reporting of margins received from clients. Below areas in which it will be an impact on the way you are availing margin benefit for trading. Margin Benefit while Buying ...